Pirates attacks will resume if ship owners let their guard down, warn former hostages

DUBAI // Somali pirates would strike again as soon as alert levels decline, as they believe ship owners would eventually scale back their defences, said a former hostage held captive by the pirates for four years.

“We would hear the pirates talk about how the armed guards would be on ships for only two to three years and then they could start capturing ships again,” said Mohammed Bisthamy, 60, an engineer among 11 sailors of the MV Albedo who escaped on June 7.

They were being held captive on shore by a gang of Somali pirates after their vessel sank in July last year.

The Malaysian-flagged cargo ship was hijacked in November 2010 after leaving Dubai’s Jebel Ali port and their captivity was the longest among those held by Somali pirates.

To read the entire article, please click here.

Source: http://www.thenational.ae

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s